Tuesday 12 November 2013

Trove Tuesday – the 29th Signallers

Continuing on with the contents of my Uncle Ricky’s ‘WWI collection’ held by the Australian War Memorial (and soon to be transcribed by me).

To tie it into Trove Tuesday, I searched for the 29th Battalion Signallers and found a number of articles and photos.

An article from July 1915 about the ‘raising’ of the 8th infantry brigade that included the 29th battalion, and 'a section of signallers'.

And, a thank you letter sent from a soldier who enlisted just a week later than my uncle and who embarked on the same ship, the HMAT Ascanius on 10 Nov 1915. He was happy to receive his cake.

Lance Corporal William McDonough was from Yarrawonga but was working in Melbourne when he enlisted. I’m pleased say that, like my uncle (also a Lance Corporal), William survived the war and returned home in 1919.

There is a photo of L/Cpl McDonough in my Uncle Ricky’s collection and I found the same photo on Trove - he's front row, left. 

The photo in my uncle’s file was labelled (see below) – the War Memorial staff must have loved that as it would have enabled them to identify all in the photo – well done Uncle Ricky.

If you want to read more about the collection, scroll back through the last few days of posts, and then come back to read more as I continue to transcribe his diaries and post bits and pieces.



Uncle Ricky labelled the back of his photo
The description accompanying the photo on the AWM website

No comments:

Post a Comment