Saturday 2 November 2013

Sepia Saturday - Where they lived

Watch Hill

This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt is a photo of the beautiful Robert Goelet house in Newport, USA. 

The prompt reminds us that,
 “houses are such an important part of our lives, be they big or small, stone or wood, brick or turf.”


Here is a selection of some of the homes/houses of some members of my family.

Watch Hill


I’ve written about the beautiful Watch Hill before here.


This was the home of my maternal great grandparents Sarah (nee Stonehouse) and Edward LONG. 

This was where my Nanna lived from her teens, and was married from (in 1935).




Wilgul




When my Nanna’s brother, Uncle Bill married in 1938, he lived at Watch Hill and their parents moved to Wilgul, a property at the front of the Watch Hill property.






Glenhuntly Road

When my Nanna and Pa married they lived at first in Carnegie and soon moved to Glenhuntly Road, Glenhuntly. 


Pa ran his horse transport business from downstairs and the family lived upstairs. 


My Mum lived most of her life here until she got married to my Dad.









Front of Tumbywood
Mum and Dad’s first home was Tumbywood in Red Hill on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula. 

It was here that I was born and lived the first few years of my life.






Hotham Street, Oakleigh


Dad’s mother, my Gren, grew up and was married (in 1936) from the Francis family home in Hotham Street, Oakleigh. 

Both her parents died in this house (in 1946 and 1947).





Francis home in Yinnar


Gren was born in Yinnar (in 1910) in the marital home of her parents, my paternal great grandparents (Florence) May (nee Pearson) and William Collier FRANCIS.
Back view of Tumbywood

5 comments:

  1. What a range of imposing houses. I especially like the verandas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Verandas are a very Australian thing - helps keep the hot sun off the windows and the house. Too many houses these days aren't built with them and so have to have aircon.

      Delete
  2. I like your approach to the theme - down to you and back again.

    ReplyDelete