Saturday 8 February 2014

Sepia Saturday – A very special piano


Sara and Edward Long with baby ‘Jean’
The Sepia Saturday prompt this week involves a piano.

I have a very special piano.

It was given to my great grandmother Sara Henrietta LONG nee STONEHOUSE by her husband, Edward LONG on the occasion of the birth of her first child in 1901.

The child was my (great) Auntie Jean, Frances Jean McVey LONG.

Auntie Jean didn’t have any children and the piano passed to me when I was nine or ten.

It’s a beautiful piano, lovely rich walnut wood with brass candlesticks. 
I can remember Mum insisting that I polish these candlesticks every time my Nanna (Auntie Jean’s younger sister) would be coming to visit.



The piano in the 1920s in the Long home at Ballangeich, Victoria
Every time I have the piano tuner around, he is surprised as to how great the piano still is. 
He said often pianos deteriorate, and the felts go as they get to this age.


I hope the piano continues in good condition so I am able to pass it on one day to one of my piano-playing nieces or nephew.




Sara Long
Me at the piano c1970 

Me at the piano a few years ago,
ably assisted by my step daughter

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piano. I've never seen one with attached candlesticks like that. And I see you keep photographs atop your piano, too. All my children and grandchildren sit atop mine so I can look up and see them while I'm playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to have been left a family heirloom that can be used rather than just being an ornament, although it is that as well. Hope you can keep on playing it, and have someone to leave it who will care for it the same way in due course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky to have a number of musical nieces and nephews, and a step daughter.

      Delete
  3. A great heirloom and terrific that it is still being played and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed too that the piano is still in good shape, but maybe it's because the piano I inherited from my grandaunt was a "newfangled" invention of its day when plastic was young but all the rage. Her piano didn't stand the test of time but became a challenge to tune.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great heirloom to have. The candlesticks are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just played sounds of silence - needs a tune!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely memories. You've reminded me that I need to contact our piano tuner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That piano is like a member of the family. I especially enjoyed seeing the 1920 interior.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that you still have (and play) that beautiful piano with such a personal story attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute photos Jackie, and a special piano indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose it is a kind of Sepia Piano - perfect for Sepia Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent that you hold this instrument in high esteem, or you wouldn't have taken pictures of it through the years!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really special to have an instrument enjoy such a long life. It must have been a cherished gift in 1901. Does it still have the real ivory keys that everyone has played?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, still the real ivory keys. I had them 'cleaned' through the piano tuner some years ago as they had become quite yellowed.
      My great grandmother received many thank you gifts from all the groups she played piano and organ for over the years. My mum still has most of them.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful piano and what a fantastic heirloom. i love the candlesticks, such a great detail.

    ReplyDelete